Friday, December 4, 2009

Big Methods = Better Code Redux

I fear the point of my original post Big Methods = Better Code may not have been properly articulated. This is my attempt re-state the point.

We read books, blogs, magazines, tweets, watch podcasts and videos to help us gather information. It is a part of the learning process. But another part of the process reveals the true value of the data - the act of understanding.

Reading something online or in a book only provides us with a direction or a premise. It is our responsibility as professionals to investigate, analyze, and internalize that knowledge to determine its validity, its merit, and whether it is worth incorporating into our process.

The following proverb typifies this maxim:
I hear and I forget; I see and I remember; I do and I understand.

We can only truly understand something by trying it ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment